Sunday, September 9, 2012

FMU: Going Home Highlight

When I was making the decision of where I would attend college, I initially wanted to go as far away as possible. For some reason, I was under the impression that was the only way to get the “full college experience.” I think a lot of high school juniors and seniors think that; they believe that if they attend school close to home, they are “less than.” We’ve got to change that perception. I fell prey to it, and after looking into schools all over the place, I really had my heart set on Converse because my English teacher from high school had gone there. I don’t know if y’all are aware, but the distance between my parents’ house and Converse College is roughly 200 miles. Once I admitted to myself that being that far away from my family wasn’t really an option for me (I’m a bit attached to my momma), Francis Marion University seemed like the perfect spot for me. And I can promise you there are few prettier places in the fall than FMU’s campus.

FMU was a good fit for many reasons, but the most important at the time was that it was approximately 22 minutes from my home. With that said, I did live on campus, but I also came home every Sunday for church and for laundry assistance. I still regard FMU as one of the happiest places in the world. I made a ton of great memories there and had so many great opportunities. I am still so thankful that FMU exists in the Pee Dee. It is a great university that is growing at a phenomenal rate, but it is small enough that it can always feel like home.

Because I am still so enamored with FMU, I was absolutely honored when one of the English professors asked me to speak at First Tuesday (a monthly event where English Education majors gather for various reasons). There is just something unexplainably special about “going home.” This was also very sentimental for me because some professors who have played a huge role in me becoming the teacher I am attended the talk, and their support over the years has had such an impact on me. Additionally, six of my own former students showed up to support me at this talk for English Ed majors, and they aren’t majoring in English Education. And really, my students have also helped me become this teacher I am, so it was great to have them there, too.

The truth of the matter is that teaching isn’t a journey we embark on independently. We owe thanks to lots of people who help us get where we are: the great teachers we had, the naysayers who saw no value in our profession, our colleagues who push us when we need it, and our students who walk this walk with us day in and day out. I think that it sometimes becomes easy to forget all the people who got us here and still stand strongly with us today. FMU provided the best foundation for me in my journey, and I am so glad I was able to give just a little something back.

Dr. Ramsey...one of the greatest men I've ever known, and I never would have met him if I'd gone to Converse.

No comments:

Post a Comment