Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Power of a Dream

This has been a busy, whirlwind week with several meetings and neat experiences. I visited Camden Middle School, home of the Soaring Eagles, and was in awe of the amazing facility. Y’all, they have a rotunda…a rotunda!!! And the principal plays classical music in the cafeteria all day. I plan to return for a full tour when I have more time to stay and appreciate it all. The staff was so very welcoming, but the highlights of that trip were four students who came to help me get some materials from my car. They were so polite and respectful, greeting me immediately by name and asking how they could help me. Good news, everyone: They’re raising some great kids in Camden.

Today, I attended a National Board liaison meeting just because I love all things National Board, and I can’t urge you enough to sign up to go through this process if you’ve ever considered it. There is free money waiting on YOU to claim it!

After the meeting, I got to do something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. In case you’re curious, I didn’t win the lottery…not a monetary one anyway. Before I tell you what I really did, I probably need to introduce you to Emma. Emma Claire is my cousin Tem’s first born baby girl, and she is one of the most amazing children I’ve ever been around. And no, I’m not being biased; you can ask anyone. Emma was diagnosed with cerebral palsy when she was six months old, and her doctor told Tem and his wife, Cassie, to get her into as much therapy as they could.

With the help of the internet (oh the power of Google!), Tem and Cassie found the best possible place for Emma: The Therapy Place located in Columbia, SC. Emma has made huge gains since she began at The Therapy Place. She now sits up on her own, responds with several phrases, plays peek-a-boo, and walks with assistance. I have wanted to go see the magic of The Therapy Place for a while now, but it never worked out with my schedule. Today, it did, and I got to witness the greatness that can happen when a mother has a dream that she doesn’t let go. Tem met me at The Therapy Place, and I got to meet Dawn Darby, the executive director who, along with friend and another mother of a child with cerebral palsy, Susan Abell, started the center when the two women were unable to find the type of learning environment they wanted for their sons. I can’t even begin to express to you how amazing her fulfilled dream is. There are not words to capture it.

I also got to meet Emma’s teacher, Erin, who directs the Bridges program (a pre-school curriculum adapted to meet the needs of the students). Erin is passionate and has a wonderful rapport with her students. I sat back and watched as Emma identified colors, shapes, and patterns, and I was so thankful that she has access to a place dedicated to helping her reach her potential. I was amazed and humbled by the work the staff does and how much every single person seems to love the role he or she plays in the lives of these children. And I discovered during my afternoon that those people are what make The Therapy Place magical; there is no special potion, no enchanted forest. There are just people who give it all they have every single day to do what is best for the children in their care. They work so hard and stay so positive, and that makes all the difference in the world.

I talk to my students a lot about dreams and how important it is to have them. In Mrs. Darby, I have a great example of what dreams can do—how a dream can start for us but stretch and grow until it impacts the world around us. I drove home with tears of happiness streaming down my face, thankful for every single person who answers the call to improve the lives of children. Thank you, to the staff of The Therapy Place for helping sweet, silly Emma maximize her potential. Her progress has brought immense joy to my life and reminded me to always be grateful for dreamers.

2 comments:

  1. I am so envious of you for being able to go to the Therapy Place. I hope that it one day fits into my schedule, as I would love to meet and thank the people who continue to help Emma achieve what others believed not possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, you definitely need to go. It is one experience from this year that I will never forget.

      Delete