Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A New Year

There's been a lot of talk on Twitter recently with people referring to the day before teachers begin their new school year as "Teacher's New Year's Eve." I can think of nothing more fitting. In my family, New Year's Eve is one of our favorite holidays, and it's been that way since way before I was born. I should probably pause here to let you know that my mother's side of my family is huge. My mother is one of six children, there are 14 grandchildren who have produced 20 great-grandchildren, and the first great-great-grandchild is on her way in September. When you get all those people and their spouses in one place, it's bound to be a good time. Since my momma was a little girl, it's been the tradition to gather around and count down the New Year (we'd always been partial to "Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve"). At midnight, we yell "Happy New Year," share hugs, kisses, and wishes for a good new year, and then go onto my nanny's porch and yell "Happy New Year" to the neighborhood. It's okay, the neighbors expect it! After that, my nanny...wait, my 92-year-old nanny...shoots Roman candles to start our firework display.

Celebrating the new year is part of our culture. Think of the money they spend in New York just to host a New Year's celebration, and the money normal everyday people spend on fireworks! We take the new year seriously. We make resolutions and view it as a time to begin fresh.

As teachers, our new year happens in August, and we should welcome it with the same spirit and excitement that we have on December 31. I'm almost convinced there should be fireworks, noisemakers, and a big giant celebration like the one in Times Square! Think of the new opportunities that come with the new school year. If you didn't like the way a unit went last year, you have the chance to change it. If your organizational system failed mid-year, you have a chance to give it another shot. However, I absolutely believe that the best parts of the new school year are the opportunities we have to make a difference and the children who are entrusted to us. That is an amazing responsibility, but, as teachers, we have an amazing calling. As you begin this school year, start fresh. Make meaningful resolutions.

This week I've been given the awesome opportunity to speak at two districts' opening days, and at both of them, people have been excited and ready for the new year that awaits them. Yesterday, I spoke at my district and we talked about celebration and rekindling the passion you had that initially drew you to the classroom. Whatever it was...whether a great teacher who changed your life forever or your desire to impact the future...reclaim that passion. Yes, teaching is hard work, and we are often under-appreciated, but we chose this career to make a difference, and we are.

I am so thankful for all of you who care about children and want the best for our future. You truly are the greatest parts of public education. I wish the happiest of new years!

No comments:

Post a Comment