Saturday, September 22, 2012

CSU, I'll Be Back!

I have done a lot of fun things this week, and I’m of the opinion that they probably each need their own blog entry in order for you to fully understand just how much I enjoyed them all. Don’t worry…I’ll publish them over the next few days so we can try to avoid blog overload.

When I was younger, my family and I went to tour Charleston Southern University. My sister was a junior and was contemplating it as a college choice. I remember our family talking for weeks about how nice everyone was at CSU. I returned there this week to speak to the CSU Teaching Fellows and Future Teachers’ Society, and I was treated with the same hospitality and kindness that I remembered from when I was in middle school traipsing behind my sister and secretly praying she wouldn’t go so far away to college.

Going to talk to the students of CSU was super-special for me to begin with because one of my own students, Austin, is a freshman and a Teaching Fellow there. It was great to be able to see him and hear that he’s doing well in school. And it was nice to be able to relay that information to his momma.

The students and faculty of the Education Department welcomed me and made me feel like I was a part of them. When I spoke, many of them hung on my every word, nodding along with me and grinning. And afterwards, for only the second time in this journey, I felt like a celebrity. I took pictures with students and got to talk to them even more about their goals and my teaching. It was an incredible experience. I enjoyed my time at CSU so very much that I plan to return very soon to see them all again! I am especially thankful to their Teaching Fellows director, Marsha Humphreys, for inviting me to come be a part of their meeting. I was so very impressed with the quality of students at CSU and know they will make some great teachers!

Of course, no trip to Charleston would be complete without going to Cousin Emily’s house to get some play time with Baby Liza. And imagine how excited I was to get to snuggle with two babies instead of one!

No comments:

Post a Comment