Friday, May 4, 2012

The Post Where I Reflect on 5/1/2012

I have to capture this moment and these emotions before they leave me. Today, I got to celebrate being named South Carolina Teacher of the Year with some of the greatest kids God ever put on this earth: my students. Being named SC's Teacher of the Year was a big deal to me because it was a big deal to my kids. They were so excited when I got to school today; it's like we all won. And really, we did. When Dr. Zais called my name Tuesday night, I sat there a moment, knowing with certainty that he was kidding. In retrospect, I'm not sure what I was thinking. Surely, a formal occasion such as that would not be the appropriate time to play a practical joke, and if he was, he was a month late anyway.

When I finally realized that yes, he was talking about me, and yes, he was serious, I felt this overwhelming sense of gratitude and appreciation. Deep in my soul, I was so thankful for people who have helped me along the way. I have to give credit to my parents for raising me to be a teacher. It was the only real career goal I've ever had, and they always supported it fully.

My husband gets this. No really, he gets it. He understands why a lot of days I'm still sitting in my classroom at 6 p.m. instead of cleaning up our house. He can whip out a phenomenal bulletin board in no time, and he is a master at grading multiple choice tests. He reads books for me when I say, "Do you think the boys in my class would like this?" yet never complains even if a book is a huge let down. And more so than getting it, he appreciates it. The pride in his eyes when I tell him of me reaching a student is unmistakable.

The teachers that I've had in my own life have shaped me into the teacher I am today: Pam Williamson, Josie Stratton, Kay Sellers,Dr. Marcie Ellerbee, Dr. Meredith Love, Dr. Bill Ramsey, Dr. Jennifer Kunka, and pretty much every other professor in the English Department at Francis Marion University. I have gleaned so much from them to make up my own teaching style and philosophy, and I am forever grateful.

More so than anything else though, I had to give credit to my students. They are the ones who travel this journey with me day in and day out. They see my highs and my lows, and most of the time, they are more than willing to tell me their opinions. Ever since I walked in Room 112 five years ago, my students have captured my heart. Together, we have tried new methods and returned to old ones. We have had laughs, cries, and serious discussions. We have graduated together, celebrated together, and mourned together. All these students have left an indelible mark on my heart, but they have also made a great impression on the teacher I am. They have molded me and will continue to mold me long after this year is over. Thank you, guys, this Teacher of the Year title really belongs to all of you. You are truly the best there is.

1 comment:

  1. You are by far the most amazing person I have ever met. Congratulations again. Subscribing to this blog...now.

    ReplyDelete