Saturday, May 5, 2012

Dance Recital: Kickin' It Old School

Let me begin this blog by saying I am only 27. I do not feel old, nor do I feel "old school." I consider myself nearly a digital native since the internet was an important part of my middle and high school years. There are some older things I remember; Oregon Trail comes to mind, as do slap bracelets and slouch socks. I've lived through some rather precarious fashion trends, but I'm not old. Or at least I wasn't old until today.

My beautiful eight-year-old niece had her FIFTH dance recital today. How she is eight, I have no clue. Just a few weeks ago, she was tiny and learning how to lift her head! The theme of her dance recital was "Kickin' It Old School." All in all, a very cute idea, if I must say so myself. I settled into my seat and opened my program ready to see songs from the 50s, 60s, and maybe the 70s. Sadly, I was mistaken. My niece danced to "Hangin' Tough" by New Kids On the Block. When, oh when, did NKOTB become "old school"? I felt as though those who selected the music must not have been entitled to knowing the recital theme, but I was mostly okay because NKOTB was really more of my sister's thing. I feel better thinking of her being "old" than thinking that I am.

We watched the recital. The little ones are my favorite. One of them performed her own solo, dancing her own jig oblivious to what anyone else was doing. A lot of them stood there, picking lint off their costumes or twirling their hair. It was precious, really. Then I heard the first few bars of a song that took me back. Not way back--remember, I'm only 27--but a little bit back. And though I loved the song, I cringed and tried to avoid sobbing. How is "Mmm Bop" old school? When did this happen? I blame Justin Beiber and The Jonas Brothers! There is no possible way that Hanson is old. I refuse to accept it.

While her Aunt Amy was sadly dealing with a mini early-life crisis, this little cutie was "Hangin' Tough" and beaming from ear to ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment